OnePlus Android Update Policy
In November, 2022, OnePlus updated and clarified its Android update policy.
Currently, the OnePlus Android update policy is this:
- OnePlus flagship phones, starting from OnePlus 11 onwards will receive four major Android updates and five years worth of security updates after the launch date. This means that OnePlus 11, which was released with Android 13 will get updates up until Android 17.
- Previous OnePlus flagship phones, released before OnePlus 11, but after OnePlus 7T series (including the T and R models) will get three major Android updates and four years worth of security updates after the launch date. This includes OnePlus 8, OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 10 series.
- OnePlus Nord phones and original OnePlus Nord CE will get two major Android updates and three years security updates after the launch date. This includes the original OnePlus Nord, too.
- OnePlus Nord N series will get one major Android update and two years of security updates. This includes the original N series phones: Nord N10 and Nord N100.
- Flagship phones before OnePlus 8 will get two major Android updates and 3 years of security updates
However, there are some exceptions to these rules:
- Despite OnePlus stating that they only provide two major Android updates to their older flagship phones (OnePlus 7T and those released before that), they have gone against that rule with some models. Some old flagship devices have gotten more than two major Android updates. But that is "going beyond what we promised" kind of thing and shouldn't be relied on.
- Additionally, there seems to be one exception to all the rules: old OnePlus 7 Pro 5G. The phone was an oddity as it was solely sold for some carriers only and had very limited availability. To this date, it seems that OnePlus 7 Pro 5G only got exactly one Android update. The reasons behind this decision are unknown - and we don't even know whether the company will "fix" the issue at some point down the line.